Frequently Asked Questions

What type of support can I access?

The services that we can provide are as follows:

  • Support and advice via 1:1 caseworker sessions.

  • Practical support via peer support groups.

  • Coffee mornings.

  • Signposting.

  • Financial support via workshops.

  • Legal support and education

  • Counselling services.

  • Emotional wellbeing sessions.

  • Peer Support sessions.

  • Weekly fitness sessions.

  • Yoga sessions.

  • (Coming Soon) Weekly gardening sessions.

  • Holistic therapeutic sessions.

  • Days out to be enjoyed with children.

Is there a cost?

To access our support, we ask for a monthly donation of £5 where financially possible.

This is a voluntary donation, and is not essential to receive support.

Who can refer to Mums In Need?

You can self refer for support from us, this is how we get most of our referrals. We also accept referrals from external agencies and from friends and family, but you need the permission of the person we will be supporting to give us their contact details and add them to the waiting list.

How quickly will you contact me after I’ve got in touch?

We are a small organisation however we will try and contact you as soon as possible. If you have requested support, a member of our team will be in touch and will send you a pre-screening consultation form which we will ask you to complete.

Please note: as of July, our waiting list for consultations is running at around 3 to 4 months. If you contact us, you will be added to our waiting list.

What is emotional abuse?

Please see the 'What is Coercive Control' on our website.

I’m still with my abusive partner, can I still get support?

Unfortunately, we only offer support to mothers who are no longer in a relationship with their abusive partner.

I’ve left an emotionally abusive relationship but don’t have children. Am I eligible for support from you?

We only offer support to mothers who have left emotionally abusive relationships. However, there are other charities which you can go to for help. If you are based in Sheffield, you can contact DACT (Sheffield Domestic Abuse Co-Ordination Team)

What sessions can I attend?

You are welcome to attend any sessions you feel may be of benefit to you.

Could you represent me in court?

We are not solicitors and we will not speak for you in court. We do however, offer legal support in partnership with several solicitors who are sensitive and knowledgeable about abusive relationships.

Does your legal support include support for divorce or financial settlements?

Unfortunately not. The legal support that we offer is for the family court process.

What is child maintenance and does my partner need to pay it?

Child maintenance is regular financial support towards the cost of raising your child from your ex-partner. It also helps keep both parents involved in their children’s lives. You can arrange the child maintenance agreement between yourselves or, if you can’t agree, you can try mediation or ask the Child Maintenance Service (formerly the Child Support Agency or CSA), or the courts to get involved. To learn more about child maintenance click here:

Is a family-based arrangement right for me?

You arrange the child maintenance agreement between yourself and your ex-partner. This would mean having to have some form of communication with your ex-partner. To learn more about family-based arrangements click here:

Is a statutory arrangement right for me?

If there’s a breakdown in communications with your ex-partner – or worse – the Child Maintenance Service will work out the child maintenance amount and, if necessary, collect it and pass it on. To learn more about statutory arrangements click here: